Sunday, 7 July 2013

Rose Petals everywhere.......


Who can resist cutting roses this time of year?
 I love to scatter their beautiful petals across the stone steps to the gate, a waste I know but sunny days and warm breezes make me feel carefree and wistful. 



I put them all on the little table in my  reading room the fragrance is just divine, I found this fabulous recipe and I just love rose Petal jam............








1 litre roses (just fill a jug loosely with the petals)
340 g granulated sugar
340 g sugar with pectin
300 ml water
Juice of 1 lemon
Snip the petals from the flowers, leaving the bitter base behind, so that you have a bowlful of rose petals. Add the granulated sugar, stir well and leave to infuse for 24 hours. I put mine in my fermenting bucket and put the lid on, if using a bowl, cover with a cloth or cling film, you don’t want any bugs!
Put everything into a preserving pan, stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved and then turn the heat up and bring to a rolling boil.
Set the timer for 4 minutes and keep the jam boiling hard. When the four minutes are up, take the pan off the heat and leave the jam to cool for ten minutes before potting into small sterilised jars.
I removed the petals from the jam with a slotted spoon, this is purely my preference, you can just as easily leave them in.
This should make about 1 kg of jam.
(I would leave them in ha ha )

Hugs Lynn xxxxxx

15 comments:

Annie said...

I had violet petals jam once but never rose petals. Did you do anything to clean the petals of bugs or buggy residue before mixing with the sugar for infusion?

Laura said...

Those roses are just stunning! I love your idea of scattering some along the way. And thank you for the recipe - never heard of rose jam before!

Laura

Jayne said...

I love fresh roses Lynn, I have a little jug and I love to have a single rose in it. The rose jam sounds so fragrant, it would make a lovely gift. Jayne x

Noelle the dreamer said...

Sounds delicious! Second photo absolutely stunning!
All the best,

NanaDiana said...

Rose petal jam! It even sounds romantic, doesn't it? Your photos are stunning, too- xoDiana

manon 21 said...

C'est beau aussi chez toi,vive le temps des confitures.

Amitiés

manon

kathyinozarks said...

Your photos are so beautiful-love those roses, need to try your rose petal recipe too-it does sound romantic like NanaDiana said-have a lovely week Kathy

Thea said...

They are so beautiful, I have just filled to jugs for my home...thank you for the recipe, sounds lovely
Thea x

Merlesworld said...

That purple rose is lovely.
Merle.......

Hannapat said...

Oh my all those beautiful roses, in those enamel jugs on one table, FAINT!! Just love roses and this time of the year. You have such a collection of them, wow! You will have to share some names and tell us which are fragrant, etc. Thanks for sharing the jam recipe with us, have never tasted rose jam and I am sure it will be delicious, but I don't have enough roses to make it. Wishing you a lovely week lovely Lynn xoxo

Deb Clark said...

I just wanted to let you know I nominated you for a blog award - details on my blog.
http://debyclark.blogspot.com.au/

flowers on my table said...

Hello Lynn, your roses are divine, I can almost smell them from here. They look so pretty on your table with the lovely distressed door. I have been enjoying mine too, and sharing them with friends, which is always a joy.
My husband loves rose petal jelly, I must try your recipe, thank you.Much love to you, Linda xx

Gail said...

I love roses Lynn and this is the perfect time of year for them isn't it? mmm rose jam sounds lovely ...so romantic to scatter rose petals ...charming ...! last year our roses were ruined because of the continuous rain but this year they are so happy ! have a nice weekend....Gail x

Vicki Boster said...

Lynn-- such beautiful roses-- what lovely pictures. I have never in my life heard of rose petal jam- I'm totally intrigued! I'd love to see a photo of the jam after you make it/ I bet it's beautiful!

Vicki

Veronica Roth said...

Lynn, I leave the petals in the jam all the time! Love your roses, and love our British weather. Last year I told Robert that I was feeling so excited to wear all my summer dresses and spent the whole summer in jeans and sweaters...remember? I'm so making up for it this year. :) Just came back from Art in Action and now am feeling full of inspiration and bravery.