Sunday, 17 March 2013

On my travels







I am down in London working and visiting family but whilst I had time I visited the Foundling Museum  to see a small but very beautiful exhibition called
Fate Hope and Charity it has the stories that surround the small and poignant tokens left behind with the children at the Foundling Hospital between 1741 and 1760. It is insightful and inspiring and I would recommend it as a spring board for future projects and inspirations for any artist.



I also had to walk by the Cloth Shop in Berwick Street, their beautiful range of fabrics is just breathtaking and this inspiring window display using fabric manipulation is so gorgeous...well I just had to go in and it made a very nice little break in my walk from The Foundling Museum.....

Then on to Liberty's and lunch Lovely xxxx

Have an amazing week, and thank you so very much for all of your wonderful letters and comments to welcome me back, it  is  so lovely to receive them thank you so much xxx




13 comments:

lemonade kitty said...

I've visited London quite a few times recently but never found the time to go to the museum, I must put it at the top of my list for next time Lucey x

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

The little tokens are beautiful especially the Ann Higs one. And what a stunning window display.
Enjoy your holiday...
Susan x

thriftwood said...

I saw something on the tv the other day about the Foundling Hospital ... So sad that the babies were never given the tokens their mothers had left for them ....

Love Claire xxx

Noelle the dreamer said...

I agree with Lucey and will have to make a stop there when we go home!
Thank you for sharing, a great post!

Kay said...

so jealous that you got to visit the foundling hospital....i love the book i have called 'threads of feeling' which shows all the different fabrics snippets that were left as tokens...i'm sure you have it too!!..x Kay

manon 21 said...

YES YES YES un grand bonheur pour moi que tu reviennes My best blog for me.

AmitiƩs

Manon

Thea said...

Such poignant little tokens of love..
and an inspiring window display
Thank you for sharing
Thea x

Maria said...

~Thank you ever so much for sharing all about The Foundling Hospital Lynn....As we are looking at Universities for our daughter at the moment...In London...I have 'Wished' my self a visit here..Ooh and a visit to Liberties tea room too! hehe..Those window displays take your imagination way away....Could browse those all day! With the kindest thoughts....Maria x

Zuzu said...

Oh how I wish I could tag along with you. This is lovely!!!
Happy week, Lynn!
Hugs,
Zuzu

Vicki Boster said...

Lynn --
How I would love to wander the streets of London with you! I would love to visit the Foundling museum -- what an incredible collection of stories these little pieces must tell.

Moving on to the cloth shop -- OMG -- how did you ever leave that place? The window collections are just stunning -- my jaw just dropped when I saw these photos.

You must surely have had an incredible visit -- you are so lucky to have such easy access to one of the most remarkable cities in the world. I am jealous~~

Love,
Vicki

Lesley Austin said...

Lynn dear,
Those tokens and what you shared about them are so moving. I keep thinking about the mothers and babies...the circumstances...it is rather haunting.

Thank you for making me aware. I think I will see about getting the book that goes with the exhibition, so that I may learn more.

Enjoy your London-time if you are still there,

Lesley
xo

tam said...

Have fun in the big smoke : )

Pilgrim at Kerjacob said...

you have had a lovely time in London, I so want to go to the Foundling Museum .
I'm hoping to do some work inspired by the textile pieces that were left with the foundlings.
I'm hoping that there is a book of the tokens, do you know if there is one.
Its lovely being able to read you again and your photographs. I do hope you'll be following my blog.
I've missed you.

Diane. x