Thursday, 30 September 2010

My day off................

Me and Myvanwy

A  growing obsession 


Darning an Edwardian underskirt

Practise makes perfect

                                                                    Lavender Hearts for my Christmas Tree




Lovely Car Boot Finds

I ride a bike...not a lovely Pashley or  Smart Town  wheels with a basket,  but a very old ordinary second hand bike called Myvanwy (after the Betjeman poem)...I can't drive I'm totally useless... but me and Myvanwy we  can do anything, she is a  magic carpet, sweeping me wherever I wish to go..she can carry cupboards! strapped to my back..shopping and me and we go faster than the wind blows....only on the country tracks though ha ha..so I set out on my bike today... really to stop myself making anymore jams and pickles.....(.though I will be making mincemeat the sweet vegetarian kind, it needs two months to mature....so I just have enough time)... and set off for the car boot.
 Well as you can see I am also busy  embroidering and making for Christmas and buying far too many things,  lovely things from the car boot just lately...... anyway back to work tommorow..the students came back Monday and we have the First Years for their first Embroidery Lesson.. I leave the rest to your imagination...
Lots of laughter, lots of love....... this is the poem I so like.........





Kind o’er the kinderbank leans my Myfanwy,
White o’er the playpen the sheen of her dress,
Fresh from the bathroom and soft in the nursery
Soap scented fingers I long to caress.

Were you a prefect and head of your dormit'ry?
Were you a hockey girl, tennis or gym?
Who was your favourite? Who had a crush on you?
Which were the baths where they taught you to swim?

Smooth down the Avenue glitters the bicycle,
Black-stockinged legs under navy blue serge,
Home and Colonial, Star, International,
Balancing bicycle leant on the verge.

Trace me your wheel-tracks, you fortunate bicycle,
Out of the shopping and into the dark,
Back down the avenue, back to the pottingshed,
Back to the house on the fringe of the park.

Golden the light on the locks of Myfanwy,
Golden the light on the book on her knee,
Finger marked pages of Rackham's Hans Anderson,
Time for the children to come down to tea.

Oh! Fullers angel-cake, Robertson’s marmalade,
Liberty lampshade, come shine on us all,
My! what a spread for the friends of Myfanwy,
Some in the alcove and some in the hall.

Then what sardines in half-lighted passages!
Locking of fingers in long hide-and-seek.
You will protect me, my silken Myfanwy,
Ring leader, tom-boy, and chum to the weak.


                                                                                  







                                                                             












         















34 comments:

paper roads said...

I love this post ... I especially love this part: "I can't drive I'm totally useless... but me and Myvanwy we can do anything, she is a magic carpet, sweeping me wherever I wish to go"

That is exactly the same with me, although I don't have such a calm happy attitude about it as there is huge pressure from Other People for me to drive. I used to bike everywhere before I had my child. I miss the freedom and adventure of it.

You have inspired me!

Stella Pesci said...

I love all of your photos, and beautiful creative projects...and you're inspiring me to make lots of yummy preserves!
Too bad I don't live on your side of the pond...we could bicycle around together (and I love my old, classic bike, too):-))
Enjoy the lovely Autumn weather,
Hugs,
Stella xx

Maria ( Idekroken ) said...

Så fine bilder :)
Jeg har ikke vært her før, men legger meg til som følger og kommer tilbake :)

Klem

kirsty said...

What a lovely post! I must say you look very glamorous riding your bicycle! Your Christmas hearts are beautiful x

manon 21 said...

j'adore vraiment ce post!
Tes vêtements, ton vélo,tes cœurs de lavande,tes confitures ,tes idées ,ton humour..

merci ma douce amie

manon

Jema♥Rose said...

You make such lovely things Lynn...you are SO creative and talented..!

: )

Hugs, Jenny

Dyche Designs said...

I haven't been on my bike in a month (holiday then illness) and I really miss it. If it wasn't raining super heavy right now I'd be inspired to put up the kick stand and take off.

Kay said...

oh what a gorgeous post....that poem...that jam!!...and pretty hearts....you have covered all the lovely things on a sunny autumn afternoon...xx

Jeanne said...

Much love and many blessings
Love Jeanne

Rebecca said...

I so love this entry. Your work and photos and the bicycle,

Jackie said...

John Betjemen is one of my very favourites. Good old Myvanwy.

Sandie's Patch said...

I would love a tricycle, probably with one of those wind up motor thingys' on! She would be called 'Doreen', why? I DON'T KNOW!
lOVE YOUR DARNING AND LAVENDER HEARTS, WHAT A LOVELY RECYCYCLED IDEA!
love from Sandie xx

Anji Johnston said...

A beautiful post - love this poem, your bicycle and your love of life. I so miss riding a bike since moving to the states - not a safe road in sight! I will just have to wait until I am back in the U.K. where I can rise on my magic carpet anywhere

alison said...

How lovely that you shared your day off with us. Would have loved a buggy on the back of your bike down to the car boot sale!

shari @ little blue deer said...

Love this! Your lavender hearts are gorgeous, they are going to make your tree smell so good! I have named my '89 Mercedes sedan The Deermobile, she usually gets me where I need to go! XX!

Madelief said...

Hi Lynn,

I enjoy riding my bike as well. In town it's the perfect way to go from a to b. It's much faster than by car.

The little lavender bags you made and the embroidered cards look very pretty!

Happy weekend!

Lieve groet, madelief

Jessie said...

Lovely pictures, lovely words. :) x

Michelle said...

What a beautiful post.. and poem.. and photographs. Your writing and pictures are magical. x

A Time to Dance said...

Hellowie my loveliness what a suculant knee I see on that bike... I haven't ridden mine for a while now and you inspire me to get mine out an old green Raleigh with a basket. Your lavender bags are lovely.. Like everything you make... Wish I was in your embroidery class ... Love and big big hugs H ( with a lighter heart and big smile)

vicki said...

Such beautiful photos dear Lynn - and my oh my you have been busy! Love the little lavendar hearts - so precious - and that cupboard of jams - delice!! You and your little bike are a great team - love that photo too!

Vicki

moa said...

hi lynn
so beautifull post -
loves your pics & words.
have a happy weekend!
hugs from moa

bicocacolors said...

I loooove all things here!!!
really beautiful!
greetings from Spain

Primchick said...

No mud or rain where you live then.!?
Can't remember the last time I wore a petticoat...? or got a me bike for that matter... :o/
Happy days off..... lovely don't ya just love 'em.... but why do they go so fast..?
Marion :oD

Ticking stripes said...

Delightful post! I've just sent you an e-m re Julie Arkell workshops!

Jema♥Rose said...

Thank you for your sweet comment Lynn, hope that you will have a lovely week too!

: )

Half-heard in the Stillness said...

I love John Betjeman, his was the first poetry book I ever bought aged about eleven!

I really like the lovely filigree wispy wrist warmers that you are wearing as you cycle along!

Hope yesterday the First years lesson went ok.

Jane

Twiggy said...

I love Myfanwy and loved the version of it that was sung by David Essex !! Lovely stitching and I'm very jealous of your preserves and pickles !!
Twiggy x

A Bun Can Dance said...

Dear Lyn
Ah, to go a-cycling in such a pretty outfit :-)
It's so easy to imagine you on your magic carpet exploring wonderful lands full of inspiring things. I would like a bike, though I couldn't possibly ride it on the roads - they're far too busy these days. But we do live right next to a cycle track and I'd like to just potter along there with a simple old bike... I've no idea about gears - last time I rode a bike they didn't come with gears - ha! ha!
I hope you're enjoying the splendour of Autumn sunshine,
Denise x
Oh and your creations: beautiful as always - when will you have another Sea Angels sale, I want to know ?!

layers said...

I am amazed at what you accomplish in one day- free and creative together.

H ennA said...

A sweet obsession indeed! You have been busy ha ha..A delightful post,you are an inspiration and have a way with words! Thank you!
Oh my...there is not a dull moment in this house, I have to take my pots and pans and hide them away..my fabrics, magazines..Lynn, surely you believe me if I tell you there are kittens everywhere in this house;-D

Have a fab week dear!

Hugs Anne

jacqueline said...

Dearest Lynn, so happy that i stumble upon your very inspiring space here today! Your work is gorgeous...and im loving all the things you create. Such sweet sweet lavender hearts. :) Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Italian Girl in Georgia said...

You look SO cute on that bike. I love the photo you took of yourself. Your little lavendar hearts are just precious too.

I've missed visiting you. It's always such a joy to stop by Lynn.

Ciao bella,
Suzanne

PS
I have a pink Schwinn cruiser bike!

Maminka Girl - Loribeth said...

Oh that peek of your pantry is luscious!

xx Loribeth

A Bun Can Dance said...

Dear lovely Lynn,
Thank You!
Denise xx