Sunday, 14 October 2007

Making pumpkins and watching Practical Magic....


Can I recommend the most lovely, brilliant, watchable film 'Practical magic'http://www.amasveritas.com/ it is just perfect for this time of the year, you do need props though, they are hot chocolate with mini marshmallows on top, soft cushions, socks, cosy fire, candlelight, family and friends (if possible), sit back and just enjoy.
I made my pumpkins last year, they are made from old linen then stuffed with hay and essential oils of cinnamon and vanilla pods and star anise, so when the room gets warm they still smell scrummy, I then washed them with lime wash to get the peely old look.
I have been watching and painting the Autum leaves as they fall silently into my garden, then in that magical silence remembering...... When I was a little girl my beloved Nanna Pitt told me that if I could catch a falling leaf I could make a wish and it would come true. I tried really hard, but so often failed, but I had sooo much fun playing this game in the woods with my grandparents watching and laughing with me. Now grown and with my own family, I always think of my Nana with love when I watch the Autum leaves falling, and I know too that she is watching them with me.
Why not try catching them yourselves it's not easy you will see what I mean.......

18 comments:

EVA AGNES said...

Your homemade pumpkins are so lovely and cute.
I love them.
Hugs Eva Agnes

vintage twist said...

The pumpkins are gorgeous going to take a look at the link now, thanks.

Deb said...

This is a beautiful post - your Nanna sounds lovely. Your hand crafted pumpkins are wonderful - such a great idea. The movie Practical Magic is wonderful, we found the tape at a garage sale and have watched it a few times (this is the perfect time of year) :-}
Happy leaf catching :-}

English Vintage said...

I love practical magic also,it is a truely magical film in every sence of the word Stockard Channing is soooo cool, as are the rest of the cast,the costumes, the house, garden,everything...Sx

Katie said...

Oh, I LOVE Practical Magic. What a great movie! I looove the house they created just for the movie, too. Your pumpkins are beautiful - you do such good work!!

Sea Angels said...

Thankyou for all your nice comments about my pumpkins (sounds a bit personal that! ha ha )

The Devil Makes Work said...

Those pumpkins look really wonderful, and you're so wonderfully descriptive in your writing, I can almost smell them from here :-) Happy Samhain!

Marja Kristiina said...

The pumpkins are to die for!! So 'franske stemning' (Danish for French ambiance). I wish I had your ability to create beautiful things from scratch.

And THANK YOU - you know for what :-)

Kelly Fillion said...

Oh how lovely! What a sweet idea for the pumpkins. Thanks for sharing that excellent site on Practical Magic that is one of my favourite movies, wow great photo stills on that site, no I can finally get a good looks at the beautiful decor.
Bright Blessings
Kelly

Gigibird said...

who needs toys when you can spend hours trying to catch falling leaves....
I think I was told a similar thing with sycamore seeds.....

andsewtosleep said...

What a lovely post and those pumpkins are wonderful. Practical magic is a great film - my daughters' favourite.
Mary

Henna said...

Your pumpkins are beautiful! You really have a gift with what you do, magical hands and great style! It´s a real pleasure to visit your blog..

Happy thoughts! / Anne

En Doft Av Danmark said...

Oh God! Your pumkins are just lovely!!!!! Why can´t I have one....such a shame, that your're living so far away, otherwise I would buy one from you.
Lot's af hugs from me
Dorthe

Henna said...

...my latest bargain we found at a barn where the owners have a bigger fleamarket..never been there before, but it sure was fun :-) I have been polishing the surface and started to paint the desk in white..hoping the result will be good.
Wishing you a great day..

Hugs

Mary said...

What a sweet story about your nana! The pumpkins are lovely. I can just imagine how wonderful they smell!
Mary

Regina said...

Your homemade pumpkins are just loveley.It's real pleasure to visit
your blog.
Have a nice day Regina

Miia said...

I love the pumpkins. I just bought some linen and now I have to decide what to do with it. Enjoy the autumn days and the falling leaves.

Miss Maddie's said...

Dear Lynn, You have a wonderful blog!I would like to thank you for the lovely comments you left on mine.I always love to hear from others far away.I look forward to visiting again. Sincerely, Susan