Sunday, 23 September 2007

Autumn Equinox a time of reflection.....

I like to mark these special times with friends and family,
to seek out the energy and wisdom in the grasses and trees of our beautiful countryside and parks, to gather together in a magical place and celebrate the changing of the season. We collect acorns to put in the corner of our homes to protect against fire, and make corn dollys from the left over stalks at the edges of the fields to honour the Goddess. Hot tomato soup and cornbread, with lots of chocolate cake, and home made beer for feasting.

In Celtic times they now turned to face the dark with hope, their food stores full and their animals fattened, they gave praise to the Goddess as she left to go down to join the God in the Underword, the only reminder of her, hung in the night sky, was the Moon. So as the sunlight fades, nature rests and renews, we too should slow down, we may find ourselves a little depressed or low, this will pass as we change pace with the coming of the autumn season and her natural balances.

9 comments:

Tracy said...

beautiful words x
glad to find someone else who marks these such special times x
tracy x

Gigibird said...

This is my favourite time of year - you make it sound so magical and I guess mother nature is - I often wonder at nature and love being near it. It's so sad people are loosing touch with the earth they live in.
Off to make soup..... perfect soup weather me thinks.

EVA AGNES said...

Wonderful blue tones in your Autumn picture.
You asumed right that it was my mother on the pictures in my blog. Some time ago I tiold the story about my grandmother. Now I thought it was time for my mum Molly to appear... :-)
Later, maybe something about me and then my daughter.
Love
Eva Agnes

Henna said...

Lovely picture! I dont know how long the teddybear has been without his eye...he is loved anyway. It´s my husband´s teddy from his childhood and the earless bunny is mine..I think they make a great couple ;-) ...is it ok if I "link" (not sure about the word) your blog to mine? Incredibly beautiful things you have don...*admiring* Have a joyful day..

Twinkle Pink said...

L love your words Lynn, so true. I always look forward to this time of the year, curling up by the fire and lighting the candles, a magical time of year:)

best wishes Ginny

Henna said...

Nature is getting more colourful each day that passes by..it´s so soothing for the senses...I love autumn with its scents and colours..The view outside my windows are breathtakingly gorgeous at times...I dont miss cityliving at all...Colurful day to you../Anne :-)

The Devil Makes Work said...

Hi Lyn,, Ah ha, that's what I meant by Happy 21st :-) Glad you had a celebration. Great picture, and you write so beautifully too.

English Vintage said...

Love your montage! I think mother earth is so very forgiving, when you consider what is thrown at her, it is always the really simple things that make me stop and stare, this time of year is probably the most visually dramatic...cloud scrying is especially good at this time of year, and this comimg from me the world worst..have a good weekend S X

Katie said...

this is the most beautiful blog - and I am completely in agreement with you!! My family had a fire in the backyard where we thanked Mother Earth for all of her goodness this summer, and ate home-made apple pie and made corn wreaths to place over our besom at the front door...beautiful, magic time of year. Thankyou!!